West Africa Trade & Investment Hub hiring PPP – Finance & Investment Manager
Position Location: Dakar, Senegal or Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID-funded West Africa Trade and Investment Hub Project (hereinafter referred to as the Trade Hub) is a five-year, $140 million trade and investment facilitation activity that seeks to improve private sector competitiveness in West Africa through a market-based approach. By working in partnership with the private sector and fostering co-investments, the project will generate new private-sector capital investment into key sectors to create jobs and increase trade between the U.S. and West Africa, including through increased utilization of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). The project comprises of three main components:
- Design and administration of a Co-Investment fund for private sector partnerships, including a portion for partnerships in Research and Development (R&D) towards innovating and modernizing practices in Nigeria across five targeted value chains;
- Technical assistance (TA) that directly supports, coordinates, and engages with qualifying recipients (i.e., partners and grantees) to achieve USAID’s trade and food security objectives;
- Urgently respond to the secondary economic impacts of COVID-19, notably to 1) increase access of working capital with financial actors, 2) prevent and mitigate job losses, and 3) help respond to local and regional supply chain disruptions and shortages of critical medical supplies and services as well as for agricultural inputs and food staples.
Through this Co-Investment Fund and technical assistance, the Trade Hub will improve companies’ abilities to expand business operations, increase productivity, and create jobs that build on the talents and aspirations of West Africa’s growing population. The Trade Hub will collaborate on specific commercial opportunities with firms, service providers, research organizations, as well as other business network actors to access private capital that will contribute to large-scale jobs, exports and investment, particularly with strong demonstrated or potential links to the U.S. companies and investors.
Creative Associates is seeking a long-term Public Private Partnerships and Finance & Investment Manager (PPP – F&I Manager) for the Trade Hub to support public private partnerships (PPP) investment projects to be based in Cote d’Ivoire or Senegal and other West African countries. This position will take a lead role to oversee the implementation of activities relevant to building partnerships with a wide range of private-sector actors and other partners, including, but not limited, in agriculture, light manufacturing, renewable energy, business services, and financial services. The PPP – F&I Manager will be responsible for completing preliminary analysis of potential investment projects, partnerships model structuring, supporting due diligence efforts (technical, financial, and legal), negotiation, and supporting monitoring & evaluation efforts. The position will also ensure that all project activities meet and exceed client expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach.
Reporting and Supervision:
The PPP – F&I Manager will report to the PPP Director based in Senegal with additional support being provided by the Chief of Party.
- Identifying strategic partnership opportunities in close coordination with the PPP Director and PPP Managers across the region to encourage private sector growth in strategic export-oriented sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture and agricultural processing, services to enable greater exports, garment and apparel production, light manufacturing, and enabling factors like affordable energy services (including renewable energy), logistics, and financial services to stimulate exports.
- Leading the development of strategic partnerships with national and international organizations that leverage resources, reputation, and expertise in line with the Trade Hub’s Co-Investment Fund objectives.
- Engaging with financial institutions (banks, private equity, or other external financial actors/vehicle) to facilitate greater access to financing to Trade Hub’s potential grantees in meeting the new private investment targets.
- Developing comprehensive mappings of key actors in the financial sectors already operating or in the process of developing financial products for the agricultural sector.
- Facilitating relationships between financial institutions and investors with value chain actors, such as agro-businesses, to enhance the Trade Hub’s partners capabilities to reach new private investment targets.
- Organizing and facilitating discussions with partner financial institutions to familiarize them with different types of agricultural sector lending and financing opportunities and raise their interest in lending and investing in SMEs in the agriculture sector.
- Developing vetting forms to assess credit worthiness of potential co-investment applicants;
- Completing preliminary analysis and investment memos for projects and partners and provide recommendations for shortlisting.
- Managing and participating in internal risk reviews and presentations, conducting proposal meetings, assigning tasks and setting deadlines, tracking progress, communicating information from partners and internal project departments, and ensuring that project’s technical and contractual requirements and deadlines are met.
- Overseeing the rollout of all grant activities and reporting while working closely with the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Monitoring and Evaluation Director, Grants Managers, Gender Specialist, and others relevant team members.
- Providing inputs for project annual work plans in accordance with the Trade Hub scope.
Related: Professional Certificate in Corporate Finance with Columbia University
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or related field,
- Minimum of eight (8) years of work experience, preferably in a financial institution. Experience in programs related to agricultural activities desired.
- Prior banking experience evaluating loan portfolios and presenting lender file to bank credit committee for lending decisions is highly preferred.
- Experience engaging private sector partners and forging public-private partnerships in West African countries.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders, including the national government.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills required, including ability to produce high-quality project reports and deliver high level presentations to clients and partners.
- Experience working on USAID programs preferred.
- Experience managing a project with a high volume of grants desired.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout West Africa
- Problem solving, stress management and time management skills are required
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. Prior experience using web-based applications preferred.
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in both French and English
How to Apply
Closing Date: 22nd September 2020.
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter and CV either as PDF or word in one document to Recruit@westafricatih.com on or before the closing date above.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran.